Hush Little Baby’s specialist early childhood music classes give children opportunities to explore musical concepts of pitch, dynamics, tempo, rhythm and beat, as well as developing in-tune singing, through our fun, play-based program. Our classes also help children to grow and develop their:
- language and vocabulary
- social and emotional wellbeing
- physical development
- fine and gross motor skill development
- bravery and confidence
- understanding of maths concepts
In Hush Little Baby music classes, children sing, dance and play with a broad variety of resources, including puppets, felt board stories, bubbles and an extensive range of percussion instruments. Music is performed live and without backing tracks with a focus on nurturing children’s lifelong love of music.
The Hush Little Baby music program is overseen by Founding Director Jennifer Teh, an experienced, highly qualified teacher and lecturer who has been nationally recognised as an outstanding music educator. Jen’s passion lies in early childhood music education and she strongly believes that music should be an integral part of every child’s life.
Hush Little Baby music classes are founded upon an adaptation of the work of Hungarian composer, music educator and ethnomusicologist Zoltan Kodály.
The underlying principles include:
- Music should belong to everybody
- Music education should begin as early as possible in a child’s life
- Music should be taught in such a way that is a joy for the child
- Those who are teaching the very youngest of children must be the very best musicians and teachers
- The singing voice is the very best instrument for a young child to learn to use
- Children must be given an opportunity to develop a ‘musical mother-tongue’ in the same way that they learn their own mother-tongue spoken language